Monday, May 31, 2010

Brunswick, part 1


Spent the whole weekend at a fabulous workshop where we learned how to create an 18th century dress called a Brunswick. The workshop was put on by Burnley & Trowbridge and taught by Janea Whitacre from Williamsburg--a rare opportunity for us West Coasters to geek out on the 18th century with someone who is a master of her craft! This is the first time I've EVER made anything this huge entirely by hand. It was also the first time I've ever draped an 18th century gown completely from scratch and I admit it took a bit of concentration on my part to wrap my head around the period draping techniques but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Am I finished? Nope, still have tons of sewing to do on the jacket and the petticoat hasn't even been started yet but my friends and I are planning lots of sewing dates to "get 'er done" in a timely fashion so that we can wear our new frocks asap. In my case, I hope to finish before Costume College!

Here's a quick photo of my pile of pieces right now. The fabric is this cheery blue mystery decorator fabric I've had in the stash for at least 7 years so it was time to put it to use. This is The Year of the Stash. after all. I'm doing a low neck and a shorter skirt so it looks a bit different from the above portrait. Yes, all sewn by hand. Did I mention this is all being sewn by HAND?

No comments: