Friday, November 11, 2011

The Very Cupcake Dickens Dress: Fitting

The dress is well underway! I've had to go about it in stages, doing things a bit backward like doing the sleeves and cutting out the skirt first, so that I could deal with whatever fitting was necessary when I had the time (and the corset on) to do it properly. I'm hoping that this way, it will all be a matter of fitting all of the pieces together and wham-o, I have a dress!

So onto the fitting...

This is my forth Martha McCain Simplicity Civil War-era gown so I'm very familiar with what fitting issues I needed to keep an eye out for. For me, it was mainly adding to the waist measurement (heck, I have to pretty much do that for EVERY pattern) and making sure everything fits well over my corset. I did have to drop the back neckline down a bit, it was very high and snug, not attractive. Here's what my mock-up ended up looking like:



I didn't want to cut away anything on the paper pattern so I snipped in to my new markings and folded the paper down to my new neckline before placing it on the fabric.

And check out these sleeves!

I wish I had enough of the plaid fabric to do a flounced skirt with cupcake ruffles around the hemline of the skirt but alas, I will just have a plain pleated skirt with green ribbon trim instead. Next: bodice construction...

3 comments:

fleurdelysa said...

How very pretty! Can't wait to see the next phase! :D

Time Traveling in Costume said...

How pretty! This is going to look gorgeous!
Val

Katie said...

Thank you both! It was time for a new cupcake--this is the first year I don't have to do something quite so "wash and wear" so I'm going all out. :)